Monday, June 17, 2013

Meal of the Day: Beef and Bell Pepper Stir Fry

Well, I know you guys probably don't know this but my family and I are now renovating our house. We're hoping it'll be done by the end of August but everything's going really slow. We're still clamoring to choose colors and furniture and room designs and with only two contractors actually working on the house, you bet it'll take a bit of time but hey, it's getting done.

Anyways, the two contractors working on the house are my cousin - who flew in all the way from Washington - to help us and my uncle. Because we're related, mum decided she'd bring them lunch every day they're working at the house and with that, she always makes sure we cook enough food so they have lunch and dinner. Now that it's summer and I have to learn how to cook, she has now forced the job upon me.

I'm not a cooking guru. I'm just an everyday teenager but I can't say I didn't do too bad of a job for my first time cooking this dish. Here's the recipe!

Beef and Bell Pepper Stir Fry with Rice
Yield: Enough food for like... 6 or so servings.
Cook time: 30 minutes to an hour with preparation
Ingredients:
1/2 lb. of beef cut into thin slices
2-3 tablespoons cooking oil (it's more of a preference thing but just make sure you have enough to not burn the meat and onions)
1 large green bell pepper, deseeded and cut into 1x1 inch pieces
1 large red bell pepper, deseeded and cut into 1x 1 inch pieces
1 onion, cut into strips (I personally would put 2 but again, it's all preference)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/2-1 table spoon honey
Salt
Method:
1. Marinate the beef with the honey, oyster sauce, a sprinkle or two of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper in a bowl for about 15 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a pot or skillet over medium heat and throw the onions in. Cook until the onions are transparent.
3. Add another teaspoon of olive oil and add the beef. Stir-fry until the beef is browned on the outside. Take the beef (you can leave the onions) out of the skillet/pot you're using and set it aside.
3. Add the green bell pepper and red bell pepper (oil is optional here) and add a dash of black pepper and salt. Stir-fry until you feel the bell pepper is cooked.
4. Transfer the beef back into the skillet/pot. Stir-fry until the beef is cooked through and the center of the meat is no longer pink. Dish out and serve with steamed rice.
It should look like this when it's done. 
Black Pepper Beef (Black Pepper Steak)
And that's basically how it's done. It's really easy and really tasty. I'm definitely going to try this again soon. 

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I think i'll try it, love cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please do and tell me how it goes^^

      Delete